Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mom & Dad



Now that I'm a parent, I've grown particularly interested in my relationship with my own parents. It's hard to imagine them holding me the way I hold my son, Jude. I wonder what I was like as a baby. I think about the way I love my baby and wonder if that's how they felt about me.



The other day, I was holding Jude on my lap thinking about Joseph. OK, so God was Jesus' Dad, yes, but so was Joseph. Joe probably held Jesus the way I hold my baby. It's easy for me to understand how Joe felt towards little Jes. But I don't have an easy time picturing God the Father loving on little Jes the same way. I know he deeply loved and cared for Jesus. Why else would Jesus say a prayer like what's found in John 17, if there wasn't an intimate love there. Now, in my Bible, John 17 is all about God the Father, and I wonder, what about Joe? What were Jesus' emotions like towards his Dad? Or was Jesus' knowledge of God's love for him so brilliantly true, that he didn't feel the need for his earthly Father's love?

No comments:

Post a Comment